As a recognized leader on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion, the University of Michigan has consistently embraced the principle of social justice as one of its guiding values. Seeking the greater good and remaining open and responsive to the changing needs of our community has resulted in numerous campuswide programs and offices focused on diversity, equity and inclusion. The impact of these centrally funded initiatives can be seen in every area of university life: from student courses to community outreach, from research grants to recruitment policies, and from mentoring to teaching practices. Many of these foundational programs have received additional support, attention and funding—on an ongoing basis—as part of the five-year Strategic Plan for DEI. Link to the offices and programs below for updates on the activities, services and focus areas made possible by this reinvestment process.
Continuing Major Campuswide Programs
The continuing programs linked below represent only a small sample of the many DEI-related efforts underway across the university. In addition to these continuing initiatives, our shared vision is being advanced on a daily basis through hundreds of activities within U-M’s individual schools, colleges and campus units.
- Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT)
- Center for Educational Outreach (CEO)
- Center for the Education of Women+ (CEW+)
- University of Michigan Detroit Center
- National Center for Institutional Diversity (NCID)
- Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI)
- Office of the Vice President & General Counsel (OGC)
- Office for Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI)
- Office for Institutional Equity (OIE)
- Provost’s Faculty Initiatives Program (PFIP)
- President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program (PPFP)
- Rackham’s Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
- Student Life Programs